"Fort Mahone" was shorthand for images taken at Rives Salient on April 3, 1865. These photographs were taken in and around Confederate Batteries 25 and 27 near the Jerusalem Plank Road. Fort Mahone makes a cameo appearance in the background of image LC 02629 taken from the right flank of Battery 25 looking southeast.
Dr. Phil Shiman compiled this map a few years back and has revised it since (principally correcting NARA photos that have more recently been posted on LOC). We will post a new version soon. The basics here, though, are correct. None of these photographs were literally taken at "Fort Mahone," as shown on the above map detail. All of the famous close-up photos of chevaux-de frise were taken in front of Confederate Battery 27 on the Jerusalem Plank Road. The photos of soldiers (and civilians) posed atop log traverses and mugging for the camera were taken at Battery 25. Details in the background of these photos (whoa there is Fort Morton!!) are definitive. We will post those as soon as we can get to it.
Many of these photos were taken by or under the auspices of Captain Andrew J. Russell, since he appears in several. The view is from inside Battery 25 looking to the northeast. The Baxter Road overpass (behind the man with the artillery ramrod) and Fort Morton are visible in the distance. Can you find Captain Russell seated with folded arms?
Confederate Battery 25, April 3, 1865
LC 02623. " On the parapet of Ft. Mahone, Petersburg, Va., April 1865. Standing in the middle is Lt. J. B. Krepps, 2nd Pa. Heavy Art.," According to Frassanito, Lt. Krepps, 2nd PA Heavy Artillery, was in the vicinity from April 5 on occupation duty. This stereo view was thought to be taken by Roche. stereograph by Andrew J. Russell is seated (furtively) at right rear.
Confederate Battery 27 on the Jerusalem Plank Road, April 3, 1865
LC 32918. "Dead Confederates in the trenches of Fort Mahone, April 3, 1865," image by Thomas C. Roche [LOT 4168, no. 16], likely taken in the covered ways of Confederate Battery 27. Note the chevaux-de-frise carried from the front and piled here by Federal soldiers to stem off Confederate counterattacks on April 2. 1865.
Sketch by A.R. Waud. "Spot near fort Damnation where the 9th Corps charged and afterwords carried the abattis and Cheveaux de frize [sic] across to the rear of the rebel works as a defense against attack from the second line." This sketch appears to capture some of the same area as the background of the above photograph.