Yellow House, Yellow Tavern, Globe Tavern, Blick House, Blick Junction, Warren Station on the Weldon Railroad
Detail from Federal engineers map in the National Archives, dated January 1865, showing the vicinity of Globe Tavern. Two bastioned forts -- Wadsworth and Dushane -- protected the Weldon Railroad. North is to the right of the map.
Detail of the 'Y' junction at the Yellow House, Globe Tavern, or Warren Station, from Map of the City Point and Army Line. NARA RG77 Rds. 196. This map shows "Yellow House" opposite the railroad from "Globe Tavern" on the right.
Detail of the Vicinity of Globe Tavern from the Michler map series, G204- 8" = 1 mile. Blick house drops off of many late-war Union maps.
Illustration from Under the Maltese Cross: Antietam to Appomattox, Campaigns 155th Pennsylvania Regiment (Pittsburg, PA, 1910), 318. This, however, does not appear to be the same house shown in the images below.
Two sketches of "Yellow House, Aug 19, Warrens HdQrs," by Charles Wellington Reed. From "A Grand and Terrible Dramma," edited by Eric Campbell.
"Warrens Station. Yellow Tavern. Junction of Weldon's U.S. R.R.," drawing by A. W. Warren.
"Warren's Headquarters on the Weldon Road, August 27, 1864" sketched by G. W. Webb, "a soldier in the Fifth Corps." Woodcut published in Harper's Weekly, September 17, 1864.
"Junction with Weldon Railroad at Blick House," woodcut in Frank Leslie's Illustrated, Oct. 1, 1864, from a sketch by Andrew McCallum. The building depicted is Globe Tavern.
LC 33026. Original caption reads: "Globe Tavern - Meade's hdq. at the battle of Malvern Hill," which is erroneous.
LC 35108. Caption reads "[Headquarters, 6th Army Corps, Warren Station, in front of Petersburg, Va.]"
LC 08263. "View of "Y" on the City Point & Army line, near yellow house." Are those freshly dug graves on the right?
This detail from LC 08263 above shows the distinctive 9th Corps shield-shaped emblem on the wagons, which should help us date the photograph.
LC 33015. "Headquarters 6th Army Corps. Warren Station, in front of Petersburg, Va." At the 'Y' junction.
LC 32928. "Lone graves at Warren Station in front of Petersburg, Va.," photographer unknown. The covered wagon in rear is stenciled HEAD QUARTERS over a Maltese cross. To the right of the wagon is the same battery that appears behind the soldiers below.
LC 32410. Caption reads. "Confederate fortifications at Warren Station."
" "Generals Warren, Park & Ayres reviewing Ayres 2nd Div 5th Corps on Friday Afternoon Sept 23 on the plain opposite the Blick house," sketch by Joseph Becker, Sept. 23, 1864. Image courtesy of the Becker Collection.
LC21009. "General Warren fortifying his lines on the Weldon road," drawing by Alfred R. Waud.
"The 5th and 9th Army Corps in Possession of the Weldon Railroad," woodcut published in Frank Leslie's Illustrated, Sept. 24, 1864, from a sketch by Andrew McCallum.
"View of Grant's Position on the Weldon Railroad," woodcut from Frank Leslie's Illustrated, Oct. 1, 1864, from a sketch by Andrew McCallum. Note the Blick house on the
"Looking down the Weldon RR from the Junction with Grant's RR at Blick House," sketch by Andrew McCallum from the Becker Collection, Boston College.
"Weldon RR," sketch by Charles Wellington Reed. LC Collection. Railroad is marked by line of telegraph poles. Blick House compound is depicted left mid-ground.
Detail of Blick farm from C.W. Reed sketch above.
Blick house, as depicted by Holland in the lithograph "Battle of the Weldon Railroad."
"Mrs. Kane's House on Picket Lint front of 3d Div 9th Corps near Weldon RR, painted red." Drawing by Charles Wellington Reed. LC