Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, during the Petersburg Campaign.
Douthat's House, Weyanoke Plantation, June 15, 1864
The Petersburg Offensive began in earnest with the construction of a grand pontoon bridge across James River over which much of the Army of the Potomac crossed. On Wednesday,June 15, MEADE and his entourage reached the north bank of the river and established Headquarters near Douthart's House, the seat of Weyanoke Plantation. According to Lyman (Meade's Army, 204-205), "The General rode to Douthart's--a brick house large and grand, standing at the point of a well-tilled peninsula which is enclosed by a bend of the river. The General in a sharp humor, though things seemed moving well enough."
The bridge extended from Weyanoke Plantation, Charles City County, on the north bank to Flowerdew Hundred Plantation, Prince George County, on the southside. Extensive archeological examination has been conducted at Flowerdew Plantation over the years.The original house was demolished.
Near the Bailey House, June 16
During the day of June 16th, MEADE crossed the pontoon bridge and rode to the front where there had been heavy fighting by Smith's Corps, who captured a half-mile of the formidable Dimmock Line that defended Petersburg. Hancock's Second Corps had moved into position and was pressing the attack Lyman was sent out to find a spot for headquarters (Meade's Army, 207). "Sent to establish our Headq'rs--a difficult matter for things are as dry as bone dust. Found Bailey's house all smashed inside and used as a hospital, about 50 or 40 wounded there, from the skirmish line. Put our Headq'rs in the field below the house."